Monday, January 24, 2011

Interest in Extremes

After yesterday’s analysis of my Google Analytics numbers, I decided to run the risk of looking with a finer granularity.  Yesterday I could draw some conclusions on the basis of then the articles were actually written.  Today I decided to see just where attention was directed for page views on Sunday;  and my “interest in local talent” hypothesis received some reinforcement.  Two articles were almost perfectly tied for receiving the most page views yesterday.  One was continued interest in Saturday’s MusicSources recital.  However, the other was a “hot off the presses” announcement of the 2011 Hot Air Music Festival, a student-run eight-hour marathon event at the San Francisco Conservatory of Music with the ground rules that no music that is more than 50 years old be performed.  Not too long ago Chloe Veltman used her blog to speculate that San Francisco is a city interested only in the very old or the very new, with much less interest in the intervening centuries.  At the time I put a lot of thought into writing a rebuttal, as there seemed to be no shortage of opportunities to attend performances of music from the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries.  Now I suppose I shall be keeping a closer eye on my own data!

No comments: