Saturday, May 11, 2013

A Question of Identify

I received a curious piece of physical mail the other day. It was clearly generated from a mailing list and was addressed to:
Stephen Smoliar, HR Manager
Guarantee Mortgage Corp
It was apparently notification of those Federal and California regulations that "my employees" needed to know. I was then provided with an order form for a poster stating all of these regulations. By posting it, I would comply with this need to notify. The envelope was made to look official, but this was yet another way of trying to sell something. My guess is that, in trying to create a customer list, some computer connected me to Guarantee Mortgage because they have been sending me junk mail about refinancing. I can only guess how many people panic on receipt of mail like this and send money just to avoid getting into trouble!

No comments: