Wednesday, September 23, 2015

The World is a Sadder Place without Yogi Berra

Yes, I appreciate Yogi Berra's many contributions to the history of Major League Baseball. However, given my personal interests, I shall always remember him best for his command of the English language. He clearly knew what he was doing when he gave one of his books the title I Really Didn't Say Everything I Said. I have to wonder whether or not anyone has taken the trouble to enumerate all of the occasions when he warped the English language with such panache. It used to be that it was hard for me to pick a favorite. However, now that I live in restaurant-obsessed California, it is definitely the case that "Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded." has become a guiding motto for my life. (For those looking below this text at my one lone tag selection, there is no doubt in my mind that the mottos of Yogi Berra deserve to be studied at literature!)

No comments: