Saturday, March 19, 2011

RIP Knut

These days I find myself doing more obituary writing;  but it is almost always about musicians on my national site for Examiner.com, such as a recent piece about Eugene Fodor that attracted more attention than I anticipated.  However, on this site I feel it appropriate to acknowledge today’s BBC report on the death of the polar bear Knut at the Berlin Zoo.  Cause of death has yet to be determined;  and I suppose there will be many who take the position that Knut was nothing but the object of a media circus.  I prefer to assume the more positive view that I try to maintain about zoos in general.  Knut was one small agent in trying to remind us that we are custodians of this planet, rather than its rulers.  This is reason enough to mourn his passing.

No comments: