Yesterday evening Omni on-Location released four new videos. These involved engagingly varied pieces of music, and the videos were recorded at different venues. However, because of the diversity of the music itself, I felt it preferable to deal with these videos one at a time. My only guide for ordering was the dates on which the performances were recorded.
Screen shot of Mark Leighton and Johanna Dömöttör performing “In the Bubble” (from the YouTube Web page for the video being discussed)
The first video presents the performance of “In the Bubble,” a duo for guitar and flute. It was the result of a partnership between the Omni Foundation for the Performing Arts and D’Addario, the company that provides guitar strings. The musicians are (in the order of the instruments) Mark Leighton and Johanna Dömöttör; and Leighton is also the composer.
The duration of the performance is a little less than ten minutes. Of some interest is the fact that the performers are standing back-to-back, meaning that they establish “ear contact,” rather than “eye contact.” That said, the melodic line is delivered primarily by the flute, while the guitar provides accompanying polyphonic progressions.
Personally, I found viewing to be a “Goldilocks experience” (by which I mean neither too long nor too short)! One might almost say that the guitar work provides a context for the flute’s “oratory.” Dömöttör’s delivery is consistently clear and to the point. One becomes accustomed to repeated phrases, but there is an ongoing progression of context that spans the full ten-minute listening experience.
This may not have been my most memorable listening experience, but I suspect that I may pay it a repeat visit or two from time to time!

No comments:
Post a Comment