Heidi Beirich, the latest target of our government’s Executive Branch
My wife and I have been making moderately significant donations to the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) for many years (probably as long as we were aware of them). As a result, the following headline on an Al Jazeera Web page drew my attention almost immediately:
Trump administration arrests Southern Poverty Law Center expert for fraud
According to the article, Heidi Beirich, former Director of Intelligence for SPLC, has been accused of deceiving donors, leading to an indictment made this past April. Furthermore, according to Kash Patel, Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, she has been charged with “wire fraud, conspiracy to submit false statements to a bank, and conspiracy to commit money laundering.”
Hopefully, this matter will go to court “with all deliberate speed.” Beirich will be represented by her lawyer Michael Proctor. He has already released his first salvo, suggesting that the argument for the prosecution amounts to punishing his client for her “decades-long record of success dismantling hate groups.” Under these circumstances, I suspect that my wife and I will make our next donation to SPLC sooner, rather than later!

No comments:
Post a Comment