This morning I found myself wondering whether all of those voters that elected Donald Trump into the office of United States President (most of them, presumably, for the second time) might begin to be feeling at least some sense of “buyer’s remorse.” Bearing in mind that those voters probably do not turn to Al Jazeera as a news source (assuming that they know anything at all about Al Jazeera), these days even our domestic news sources are beginning to recognize that all is not well when it comes to our country’s economic well-being. Personally, I make it a point to check out the Standard & Poor’s 500 index every morning; and things have not been looking good, even if there seem to be some signs of recovery this morning.
Today’s news presented by an Al Jazeera news reader (from the YouTube Web page)
Nevertheless, this morning’s visit to Al Jazeera got my morning off to a rocky start. This morning I read an “Explainer” article, classified as “News” with the subcategory “US-Israel war on Iran.” The headline was merciless: “Trump’s ‘economic D-Day’ claims first victim: Not Iran, but US markets.” It was reinforced by an equally dire sub-headline: “The US and Israel’s war on Iran has upended global financial and energy markets.”
By way of context, a generous share of my student days were involved with the war in Viet Nam and the many instances of organized resistance to our involvement. For me, the most memorable slogan was “War Is Not Healthy for Children and Other Living Things,” a slogan created for a poster by Los Angeles artist Lorraine Schneider to support opposition to the war by Another Mother for Peace. These days, that slogan applies to what is currently happening in Iran, suggesting that Viet Nam history seems to be pretty much forgotten.
These days I not only follow my Al Jazeera “feed source.” I often watch a half-hour of news on their television station. I have limited access through an xfinity channel, but I discovered that I could get the “full feed” through the “Al Jazeera English | Live” Web page on the YouTube Web site. (As I write this, the display shows that 7561 viewers are visiting that Web page!) Mind you, I do not dismiss news sources based here in the United States. Nevertheless, multiple points of view, particularly from countries other than our own, tend to be more informative than a single one!

No comments:
Post a Comment